* On January 15, Bonnie Lucas spoke with Senator Mia Costello regarding the possibility of bringing NFB Newsline to Alaska. For those who were at our convention, attendees had a humorous experience listening to a Newsline Article through the service.
* Plan to be available the night of February 22 for a chili making contest, live music, a silent auction, chili tasting, and the best homemade chili meal you can imagine! If your chili is the best in the world, bring and let it be judged by the best chili eaters in Anchorage. The event is being spearheaded by the Anchorage Chapter. We are looking for cool items that may be auctioned off, please send them our way. We will be getting a flyer out, announcing it on social media and sending more email notices. If you had the opportunity of joining us last year, then please come again and invite as many friends as you can.
* We are planning to sponsor a Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning Academy, (BELL), program for youngsters. A training has been scheduled for Friday night, January 31 and all-day Saturday, February 1, for anyone who is interested in helping in any way. Karla McQuillan, NFB Affiliate president from Oregon, and person in charge of BELL, will be coming to train our team. You do not have to be a Braille reader. The program lasts for several days and we hope that each day will include different volunteers as much as possible. There are many pieces that have to be planned and put together. Our co-chairs of the program our Kevin Whitley and Sarah Moreau. For further questions, you may contact Kevin Whitley at 907-538-9826, or email@example.com Please stay tuned for more information on exact times and locations.
* Elections were held in the Anchorage Chapter and the board is as follows:
- President, Bonnie Lucas
- First Vice, Rolando Dela Cruz
- Second Vice, Nate Kile
- Secretary, Charlie Rogge
- Treasurer, Clint Satterfield
- Members at Large, Candy Powell and Emilia Nidoy
* The Washington Seminar will begin on February 10 and adjourn on February 13. Attendees include Bonnie Lucas, William Craig and Linda Newman. We will spend the 11th and 12th visiting with our Alaska legislators. The 2020 NFB National Convention will be held in Houston Texas July 14-19.